Minors win Grade 2 Championship


The Minors won the Grade 2 Championship at the weekend defeating Pomeroy in Coalisland, in a hugely entertaining game. Eglish were first to score with Mark Donnelly landing a point, with Pomeroy scoring two points shortly after, though Mark Donnelly was on the end of a good move by Christopher McNeill to finish to the net. Pomeroy responded immediately and went up the field and scored a goal and point to leave two between the sides. Eglish were able to level matters with points coming from Seamus Muldoon before Conor Murtagh popped up and slotted the ball into the net for Eglish’s second goal. Pomeroy again responded with a goal to leave half time score of Eglish 2-4 Pomeroy 2-4.

Mark Donnelly once again opened the scoring on the restart with a point before Pomeroy struck again for goal, and followed up with a point to leave a margin of three points. Jack Mullan though finished superbly to net to close the gap but twelve minutes later Pomeroy re-opened that gap with a goal which was a killer blow with ten minutes left. Jack Mullan knocked over a point before Tom Murtagh who replaced Mark Donnelly as a blood sub finished to net from close range. Pomeroy refused to lie down and levelled the game once again with a point, with a minute remaining. It looked like the game was destined for a replay but Mark Donnelly got the ball fifty yards out close to the side line and skipped past a defender before stroking the ball over the bar. It wasn’t over yet though as Eglish had to injure a nervous finale to the game as Pomeroy went on the hunt for an equalizer. A Pomeroy forty five hit the post but thankfully it was gathered up by the Eglish defence as the referee blew for full time, Eglish 4-7 Pomeroy 4-6.  The players deserve huge credit for their never say die attitude in a game that went right to the wire. Congratulations to the players and management on winning a very well deserved Grade 2 Championship. Hard luck to Pomeroy who played their part in a cracking Minor Final.




Comments are closed.